Search This Blog

Loading...

14 August 2011

Sunday's Obituary - Armstrong, Evelyn (1911-1913)

-->
Streator Daily Free Press. Streator, Illinois

VOL. XXXII-NO. 10,783 Saturday, March 1, 1913 pg 1

ARMSTRONG BABY SEVERELY BURNED
ACCIDENT HAPPENED LATE ON THURSDAY AFTERNOON WILL RECOVER.
  Evelyn, the fifteen months old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Dooma [Dume] Armstrong residing on East Bridge street was terribly burned late Thursday afternoon. Just how the little one’s clothes caught fire is not known. Mrs. Armstrong put the baby on the kitchen floor and while in another room, the clothes of the baby caught fire. When the mother reached the child the latter’s clothes were ablaze. Hastily picking her baby up Mrs. Armstrong ran from the house. This only aided the flames in burning the more fiercely. A neighbor seeing this and thinking Mrs. Armstrong was carrying a burning piece of clothing shouted to her to throw it in the snow. Obeying the command, Mrs. Armstrong put her baby in the snow. The flames were extinguished but the little one was badly burned. A doctor was called and the unfortunate child was hurried to the hospital.
  The fact that the baby was rolled in the snow made the effect of the burns doubly severe and at first it was thought that the recovery would be impossible. Reports from the hospital this morning are that the chances appear bright to save the life of the baby.

Streator Daily Free Press. Streator, Illinois

VOL.XXXII-NO. 10,784 March 1, 1913 pg 2

ARMSTRONG BABY DIES FROM BURNS
SUCCUMBED TO INJURIES SUSTAINED LAST THURSDAY AT HOME OF PARENTS.
  Evelyn, the sixteen months old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Doomdly [Dume] Armstrong died at about midnight on Saturday night as the result of injuries sustained from burns last Thursday. Owing to the nature of the cause of the death of the little one, a corner’s inquest was held. The jury returned a verdict of accidental death.
  The parents reside at 912 East Bridge street. Mr. and Mrs. Armstrong formerly lived in Chicago, where the child was born October 29, 1911.
  The funeral services will be held at the residence at 2:30 o’clock on Tuesday afternoon and the remains will be buried in Riverview cemetery.
  The story is a sad one and was told in the Free Press of Saturday. Mrs. Armstrong had placed the baby on the kitchen floor and while in another room the clothes of the baby caught fire. When the mother reached the child the latter’s clothes were ablaze. Mrs. Armstrong ran with the child out of the house and succeeded in extinguishing the flames by placing the child in the snow on the advice of a neighbor, the neighbor thinking that the mother was carrying some burning rags.