|1940 U.S. Census. population schedule. Illinois, Will, Frankfort. E.D. 099-11. sheet 5B. William Kampe. National Archives. Washington, D.C. Ancestry.com. accessed 11 April 2012.|
As will all research, the family historian must know basic information such as the surname, given name, and the person’s location for the census year. If this information is not known, a few resources include:
- Family member or friend
- City directory
- Historical telephone book
- Personal papers
- With the above information, search each census year starting with the current year and work backward.
- Search one family at a time, if unable to find the family then start with another family
- Download and/or print online census information for all surname spellings in an area
- If using an online indexed database, download both the index page and the census page
- Abstract research information into a genealogical software program or database
- Cite all of your research sources
- For more census information, read “Census Records” on the National Archives website.
Family Search.org offers tutorials and wiki information search under learn at the top of the home page.
What U.S. census questions do you have? Contact Selma Blackmon.