|1940 U.S. Census. Illinois, Will, Frankfort. ED 99-11. Sheet 5B. William Kampe. National Archives. Washington, D. C. Ancestry,.com. accessed 15 April 2013|
- Start from the most recent census available and work backwards
- Build from the known to the unknown
- Abstract the information thoroughly and correctly
- Do not read into the record what is not there
- Connect to the right family
- Use collaborating documentation
In 1940, the enumerator recorded the following data “Relationship of this person to the head of the household...” on each person in the family unit.
The census image answers the question of the relationship of each person to William Kampe:
- Wilma is his daughter.
- Henry is his son.
- Mildred is his daughter-in-law.
- Selma is his granddaughter.
- Who is Henry’s wife?
- Who is Mildred’s husband?
- Who are Selma’s parents?
- Marriage license
- Birth certificate
- Family members
- Henry J. Kampe and Mildred L. Schuler were married on Nov 19, 1938. The genealogical citation would read as follows: Illinois. Will County. Marriage Certificates. Marriage license no. 52414. County Clerk’s Office, Joliet, Illinois.
- Selma’s birth certificate verifies that Henry John Kampe and Mildred Louise Schuler are her parents. The genealogical citation would read as follows: Illinois. Will County. Certificate of Birth. [Information privately held].
For comments and questions, please contact Selma Blackmon, thank you.