Michael Nolden Henderson publishes Got Proof! My Genealogical Journey Through the Use of Documentation . Michael is an excellent storyteller, historian, and researcher. He demonstrates his warmth and love of people in his lectures and his book. After years of methodical research, his notes (citations) and bibliography are complete.
A few of my favorite quotes:
- “It’s not what you know; it’s what you can prove. ~ Danzel Washington, ‘Training Day’” p. 1
- “I allowed my mom to remember what she could about her upbringing without my prompting, interrupting or asking too many questions.” p. 20
- “I had developed a hunger to know something, to have questions answered” p 32. We, the reader, are setting on the sofa listening to Cousin Leonor as Michael shares this hunger with his readers. The reader becomes captivated in his search for answers; each page develops his family and research methodology. The genealogy with names and dates is interwoven with family history the storytelling.
- “Whenever I learned one bit of information, I would study it for clues that would help me formulate more questions and make educated guesses” p. 77. Absorbed in reading about the journey to Royal Street in the French Quarter of New Orleans, Louisiana, the reader has a glimpse of methodology. In this chapter, the author continues to write about the connection between Cousin Leonor’s oral tradition and a 1770 census document.
- “We do not choose our ancestors,.. we discover them….” p. 155
- “Until the lion has his own storyteller, the hunter will always have the best part of the story” ~African proverb” p. 107. We are encouraged to reveal our story.
Henderson, Michael Nolden, and Anita Rochelle. Got Proof! My Genealogical Journey Through the Use of Documentation. Suwanee, Georgia: The Write Image, 2013.
Comments or questions, please email Selma Blackmon, thank you!