Search This Blog

23 January 2018

Emma L BAUMGARTEN 1896-1970 married William F ZIELKE

   ZIELKE
William F. Zielke, veteran of World War 1, June 10 [1966], beloved husband of Emma, nee Baumgarten; dear father of the late Gilbert; fond grandfather of Mark;... read the rest of his obituary in the Chicago Tribune, 11 June 1966 on Newspapers.com.
   ZIELKE
Emma Zielke, nee Baumgarten, of Brighton Park, beloved wife of the late William; loving mother of the late Gilbert; dearest grandmother of Mark; dear sister of Walter (Emily) Baumgarten and Marie (William) Schrader;... read the rest of her obituary in the Chicago Triune, 10 December 1970 on Newspapers.com.

Emma L Baumgarten is my second cousin two times removed. I do not like the expression "removed." but that is the technical wording. The whole Baumgarten family has been a series of twists and turns. It appears that each generation has the same names recycled over and over again. Emma presented a different problem. Beside Emma L, I also have Emma Emelie in the same generation. Now back to Emma L and my confusion with her family. Emma was born 9 July 1896 in Lockport, Will County, Illinois. In 1919 according to the Cook County marriage index, Emma married William F. Zielke of Chicago. This should be simple, just find an Emma and William about their age in the U.S. census in Chicago.

Who would have planned for two different Emma's marring two different William's. Naturally, I only found one in the beginning in the 1930 census, so attached the wrong census to my family. My family was married in 1919, the other Emma and William were married in 1911.One family, the one I wrongly added to my tree, had five children. The correct family had only one son, Gilbert.
It has taken several full days of research to finally correct my mistake. I was able to find Zeilke obituaries on Newspapers.com. What are the odds of two Emma and William Zeilke would be raising families in Chicago, Cook County, Illinois at the same time.

My lesson is to always look for more than one source for information. Question my own research. Do NOT believe trees or census, these are only hints. AND apologize to the Zielke family for adding the wrong people to my Baumgarten tree. If it were not a question from a cousin, I would not have found this mistake. We all need to work together!!! Any suggestions for my tree, see Roots Digger family tree (under construction) on Ancestry.com. happy tree climbing and roots digging, Selma


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment and support. We grow and learn from each other.