Search This Blog

05 September 2020

Family historians slow down! Document! Analyze!

 


Family historians slow down! The question is not how far back does your line go? The question should be what documents have you analyzed to arrive at your conclusions? Document! Document! Document! Analyze! Analyze! Analyze! Then start again and reread what you have written.
Slowly research each generation. Document each person with connections to your tree. How do you know you connect? "Aunt Mary told me." Great start! Now evaluate the information and search for substantiating evidence. Lack of a paper trail does not lead to shame; it leads to research plans. Write a list of names; assemble everything you can find that include these names. As you pull together your research, date the information, identify photographs and source your records.
Try free genealogy software until one program stands out from all the rest. Does this program feel comfortable? Will this program accomplish my goals? For me, Roots Magic meets my needs. It provides me with a citation template and drag and drop between databases. Multiple databases may be organized around surnames in a location such as "Dunham in Wisconsin." Plan a database of connected families such as my "SchulerKampe family tree" or unconnected people in my "SchlerKampe Who Not Connected." When people from the "Who Not Connected" are identified as family members, a quick drag and drop between databases changes their status. A database called "SchulerKampe lineage" contains direct and documented family names. My "SchulerKampe family tree" includes family interviews, vital records, obits and other newspaper stories. Eventually, this will feed the family narratives. My "SchulerKampe lineage" database includes evidence to connect each generation.
The lineage database starts with me. My birth fact has one document, my birth certificate. The paper (source) has been cited, transcribed and digitized before placing it in a safe place. My birth certificate provides the date, location and names of my parents including my mother's maiden name. No other records provide contradictory statements. Roots Magic software allows events to be shared. My birth fact has been shared with my parents. This connects me to my ancestors.
Generation two (1916-2008) consists of my parents. All reports that include their death, marriage and birth facts have been cited, transcribed and digitized. One database (SchulerKampe family tree) will contain ALL collected data. As there are no records with contradictory statements, the lineage database will have three events for dad and three events for mom. Each fact will be backed up with a source. This is a total of five pieces of paper. Automatically the software shares my parents marriage fact. My dad's birth fact has been shared with his parents. My mom's birth fact has been shared with her parents.
Generation three (1871-1965) consists of my grandparents. In each generation, acquire death, marriage and birth accounts. States did not require statewide vital records until around 1916; research at the county or town level. IMPORTANT, learn the laws of the area you are researching. Look for church records. Look for delayed birth certificates. My delayed certificates are dated 1938 to1942. With a record distant from the event, attempt to verify against earlier records. One of my grandfather's cousins delayed birth certificate states her birth as 1886, but this person is named in the 1880 U.S. census. The correct date is 1876. Research has verified that this is not a death of a child and reuse of same name.
Generation four (1840-1950) consists of my great-grandparents. This generation provides various challenges with opportunities to apply the genealogical proof standard. A few of my challenges include:
  • lack birth records
  • birth in foreign country
  • three different birth years
  • identity of parents when foreign country
  • birth information multiple sources offer multiple locations
All of the above provide many hours of research opportunities.
Generation five (1806-1910) consists of my great-great-grandparents. Most of the dates are approximate or missing. This generation presents countless exploration occasions. Start with known records and search other family members, church records, land deeds and court records.
My research records are public on Ancestry and My Heritage. My tree is Roots_Digger. Look for record matches, DO NOT accept family trees without documents.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment and support. We grow and learn from each other.