Search This Blog

07 March 2021

DNA Autosomal: Dunham/Metcalf & Williams/?

 


Sarah Metcalf/Wm Dunham





In researching our families, we may be able to successfully combine paper with dna. The following two examples demonstrate my success. The Dunham line I started researching in the early 1990s with two photographs. The Williams line of research started recently with matches from several dna “cousins.”  Both lines need more work and more “cousins.”

Starting with two photos, I wrote many letters. The Dunham family in Oneida County, New York, was very helpful.  Fast forward to dna, I now have 21 cousins from the branches of the William F. Dunham 1799-abt 1880s/Sarah Metcalf 1799-1887 union:

Dunham, Lindsey 1820-1899 married Esther Ann Baldwin 1826-1878

Dunham, Sarah 1821-1911 married Alanson Hickok 1815-1875

Dunham, Jane Angeline 1823-1906 married Elisha T. Couch 1820-1896

Dunham, Augusta  1825-1903 married Charles Boyden 1804-1890

Dunham, Louisa 1834-1913 married William Hempton 1824-1904 

My Dunham connection: dna and paper connection through my 3rdth great grandparents, William F. Dunham, 1799-abt 1880s, and Sarah Metcalf, 1799-1887.  

An 1896 newspaper article provided the paper connection. With the help of dna, this family is progressing back on the Metcalf side with Metcalf, Pond, Platts and Wetherbee. The paper trail stops with William F. Dunham’s parents. Who are they? Does anyone out there have the answer or a potential clue that may help me/us?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR GREAT HELP AND SUGGESTIONS!!!

WILLIAMS update!!! more to follow

The Williams genealogy started with one dna match that connected to the 1850 New York census. Aaron Williams, 1778-1858, lived with John Shelden.  Aaron’s daughter Lucy Ann Williams married John Shelden. I have her paper trail. The surname is Sheldon or Shelden. The searches lead me to 26 other “cousins” with a paper and dna trail. Aaron Williams, 1778-1858, and ? [Electa Durham]:

Huldah Williams 1807-1885, daughter Lucy A. Williams 1844-1880 father unknown, 1855 census adopted, NY Gazetteer for Richard Capwell and Huldah had only one child, James.

Eda C. Williams 1810-1873 married Margaret Ann “Peggy” Wiles abt 1817-?

Sarah “Sally” Williams 1814-1850 married John Wauvle/Wavle 1810-1870

James G. Williams 1814-1892 Married Mary ? abt 1817-?

Malinda Williams abt 1820-1892 married Seth Bean 1815-1900

William Williams 1823-1902 married Elizabeth McMullen 1835-?

Lucy Ann Williams 1828-1874 married John Shelden 1829-1905

 At this time [March 2021], I find NO paper or dna crumbs for Electa Durham married to Aaron Williams. I am unable to link the family with my family. I do see a probate in Oneida County, New York, again, at this time; I am unable for find this record, just an index. After looking at many public trees for Electa Durham and Aaron Williams and attempting to contact owners for help, still no conclusions. Some public trees offer Asa Durham as a possible father for Electa. Asa Durham and Aaron Williams with son Eda are buried in the Freetown, Cortland County, New York cemetery.  The early New York census place Aaron and Asa in the same locations.  Searching for Asa offers his surname as Durham, Dunham or Dorwin.

Other family names may be missing from this article. Except for Electa and Asa, the people named are connected both by paper and dna. If we connect, please contact me with your name. Thank you!  Please help me connect this family to my tree! Thank you dna and paper cousins. If you are connected to my Dunham dna, please, let’s get acquainted.

 My connection: ?

Updated 25 March 2021. Thanks for your suggestions, I am finding new clues and information, MISS Electa or Lecta Williams, b abt 1823 d 1902 is the person for the Oneida County will from book 53, page 378. A digital copy of this will was provided by the surrogate clerk's office of Oneida County, New York. THANK YOU!!!

For my public tree see Roots_Digger family tree (Under construction, help!) on Ancestry.com and Roots_Digger on MyHeritage.com. My dna is on both sites as well as GedMatch and FTDNA (mtdna and autosomal). Please contact me on either MyHeritage or Ancestry or sbgenealogydna@gmail.com, thank you!!!

 


2 comments:

  1. Hello Selma,
    I think that I am your cousin Keith Mann Spencer.
    My Great Great Grandparents are Sarah “Sally” Williams 1814-1850 married John Wauvle/Wavle 1810-1870. They ended up moving to Michigan from Cortland New York.
    My grandparents are 2nd cousins once removed, because my great grandfathers(Frank Mann) mother is Louisa Wauvle, a daughter of John Wauvle Sr. & Sarah "Sally" Williams.
    My grandmothers great grandfather is John Wauvle/Wavel Jr. and his father was also John Wauvle Sr. & Sarah "Sally" Williams.
    I have taken our Williams family to a Gateway ancestor named Frances Deighton, and her husband Richard Williams.
    This line is well documented, and we are related to most of The Surety Barons of The Magna Carta, and many Kings of England.
    This is my wikitree.com website and personal Profile, https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Spencer-12751

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Keith, Two years later I am still attempting to put my tree together, I am related to both Williams and Dunham by DNA, think the DNA is Williams, not sure, to advanced for me. Your tree on Ancestry is a huge help, thank you, I just can't plug the two trees together, I am sure we are cousins,
      bye for now, happy tree climbing and roots digging, Selma Kampe Blackmon aka Roots Digger

      Delete

Thank you for your comment and support. We grow and learn from each other.