Search This Blog

09 April 2021

Electa Williams Oneida County, New York WILL

 

Source Citation 

Will Books, 1798-1900 With Index, 1798-1909; Author: New York. Surrogate's Court (Oneida County); Probate Place: Oneida, New York Image 557 of 597, Ancestry.com accessed 7 April 2021

Who is Electa Williams? A DNA match necessitated the following search. My search began by writing down all I could find on Ancestry.com, FamilySearch.org, MyHeritage.com and basic browsers. The name and location of New England states produced too many results. And the name Lecta Williams added even more to the list. In an attempt to narrow the prospects, I resorted to public trees. Many of the public trees offered only one source, the source in the photograph above. This source would be great place to start.

 What did I find; the source is a digital image of an index page. How do I find the original document? I proceeded back to the beginning by checking the genealogy sites. My search was for the will in volume 53 on page 378 of the New York Surrogate Court. During my online search of American Ancestors.org (NEHGS), Melanie and James, live chat volunteers, offered several suggestions. One of their excellent suggestions was to contact the Oneida County Surrogate Court. After the online searches did not provide a digital image, I did call the Oneida County Surrogate Court. Within three business days, the digital image was in my email box.

 The following abstract is from the New York Surrogate Court, volume 53, pages 378 and 379:

In the Name of God, Amen. I Lecta Williams of the town of Trenton, County of Oneida and State of New York,…

First, after all my lawful debts are paid and discharged, I give and bequeath to my sister-in-law Mrs. Caroline Williams of Holland Patent, NY. All of my right, title and interest in and to the house and last owned by said Caroline Williams and myself … All real and personal property were willed to Caroline. And Mrs. Caroline Williams was to be appointed executrix of the estate. The will was signed on 30 December 1901; the witnesses were Philip M Egert and E Willard Jones. The will was probated 7 April 1902.

 Further research revealed:

The 1892 New York state census reads that Electa was living with her brother John and his wife Caroline.

The 1900 federal census reads that Electa, single, lives with Caroline Williams, widow, in Trenton, Oneida County, New York.

A minimal search revealed that John P Williams, 1822-1895, married Caroline Thayer 1825-1902. Electa was John’s younger sister; born July 1823 in Herkimer County, New York. Lecta died in Trenton, Oneida County, New York, in 1902.

Please check out my Roots_Digger (Under Construction, Help!) tree on Ancestory.com to follow my research.

My connection: currently NONE, still searching for our DNA connection!!!

Thank you American Ancestor’s, Melanie and James, live chat volunteers, for your assistance and suggestion to contact the Oneida County Surrogate Court.

Thank You, Colleen A. Wilson, Sr. Court Office Assistant, New York Oneida County Surrogate’s Court for your professionalism on the telephone, your efficient and prompt response in providing the digital images.

Comments, please contact me at sbgenealogy@gmail.com. Thank you!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment and support. We grow and learn from each other.