Search This Blog

26 July 2021

My memories: Rialto Theatre, Joliet, Illinois


Rialto Square Theatre, November 1992, Dorothy L. Mavich, Joliet, Illinois ISMN 0-9635264-0-5

My timeline of memories of the Rialto Square, Joliet, Illinois, start with being introduced to a very large screen with Bugs Bunny, Porky Pig, Road Runner, Sylvester and Tweety Bird. We watched cartoons on Saturday for ten cents. The cartoons provide recollections of laughter and funny antics during the late 1940s. We saw full length movies with coming attractions and news clips for twenty-five cents. In 1949, John Steinbeck’s movie Red Pony stirred my emotions enough that I cried the whole time. Some of my other early memories include backstage tours and pipe organ concerts.

Another fond memory offers a quote from my mom, “Young lady, you are NOT getting that for your breakfast.” I knew better than to ask, but I just had to tell mom about my first day at work. We had to be at work at 8 o’clock in the morning, the office was not open, so the other girl brought her breakfast. Her breakfast consisted of a large piece of chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. To me, this looked delicious! What does this have to do with the Rialto Square? The building contained three floors of office space. My first job was with the Household Finance Corporation. Our office was located on the first floor above the theatre entrance at the corner of Chicago and Van Buren streets. A. J. Rademacher hired me to receive loan payments and other office work. Mr. HarryRubens would come into the office. This means that I actually saw one of the original visionaries of this glorious structure.

A palace for the people, a vision of a vaudeville movie palace, the construction was the undertaking of the six Rubens brothers. The theatre opened on May 24, 1926. The building reflects Greek, Roman and Byzantine architecture. Read the website for the history, see the many photos and plan a tour to see the awesome beauty up close. It would be a disservice to pick out only one chandelier or one hall or one sculpture to describe in a very short article. The Rialto is still very much a performing arts center, presenting or hosting nearly one hundred events per year. In 1996 the seventieth year, the Rialto and Joliet area supporters paid tribute to the timelessness of its beauty and the quality of its programming. The Rialto continues today!!!

My connection: I grew up in Joliet and took the Rialto's beauty too much for granted. Now every time that I return to the area, I try to make at least one visit to this beautiful icon. The theatre is on the National Register of Historic Places.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment and support. We grow and learn from each other.