Search This Blog

01 August 2021

Roy Bertelli, 1910-2003

 


Mr. Accordion, Roy Bertelli’s dates obtained from the indexed Social Security death index read: birth date 3 Nov 1910 and death date 22 March 2003.  Also on Ancestry and Find A Grave his death dated is listed as 22 September 2003. Other twists and turns appear around his burial. You, the reader, can research and decide for yourself what you want to believe. Also, on Ancestry is a wedding date for Roy Bertelli and Ethel Rees; the date is 12 August 1950 in Piggott, Clay County, Arkansas. The 1951 Springfield City Directory lists Roy and Ethel Bertelli living at 2010 Brown. According to several online articles, Mr. Bertelli shared his love for the accordion with anyone who would take the time to engage him. One article reads that in the 1950s, Roy taught about 150 students a week. He was a prolific writer and arranger of songs for the accordion and organ; he performed with the Lawrence Welk’s backup band; he was an all around showman and supporter of the performing arts. 

In November of 1997, my cousin and I traveled from Lockport, Illinois, to Springfield, Illinois, to meet with Roy Bertelli. We corresponded previously; we were looking forward to meeting him. He answered many of my questions, played his own songs and shared sheet music. He suggested contacting the Peoria Area Accordion Club, P.A.A.C. In August 1998, Joey and I enjoyed a P.A.A.C. performance at the Italian Festa. The Festa is held annually at Hickory Grove Park, Peoria, Illinois.

 My connection: accordion

During my grade school years, I remember four of us in an accordion class. Our final performance was to play “Lady of Spain.” Due to my inability to get up to speed, I was dropped from the final performance.

 As an adult during the 1960s living in Illinois, I enjoyed lessons in our home. My teacher came once a week. My goal was to write out the bass cords to an old hymn book. He introduced me to fake books and guitar cord books. This was a challenge and fun for my own entertainment. When my mother-in-law was confined to an Alzheimer’s unit, I attempted to “entertain” the patients once a week. My mother-in-law was not even in the room. She had no idea who I was. So while trying to decide if this was worth my time and energy, the song “How Great Thou Art” came across my mind. When I started to play and sing, a man got up from the far corner and stood behind me. He astounded everyone by harmonizing beautifully with the melody; he knew every word! We enjoyed our time together for about ten minutes; he went and sat down. Later I learned from one of the staff that he had not spoken in three years. The staff knew nothing about his life except his name and that he came from out of state. After our time together, he did not speak again. Needless to say, this was NOT a waste of time and energy! 

In 1985 when I moved to Atlanta, the accordion came along. The first church I attended was very small. In fact, one Sunday in July, we had 14 people in attendance. The membership consisted of several families. The children took piano lessons and took turn providing our music. As the children grew up and went off to college, the music was gone too. So, I volunteered to provide the sing along melodies from the old hymn book. Oh how different we sounded singing praises to God with the accordion; then I progressed to the keyboard and briefly the organ. Eventually the next young child learned to play the piano; this sounded great again! 

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” NIV. Bible Gateway.

Tell us about your musical experiences.  Selma Kampe Blackmon, sbgenealogy@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment and support. We grow and learn from each other.